U of M Women - Three Place in Top 10 for U-M at EMU Fall Classic
Provided by U of M
Site: Dexter, Mich. (Hudson Mills Metropark)
Meet: Michigan Open (5,000 Meters)
U-M Team Finish: Non-scoring
Top U-M Individual: Jaimie Phelan, 2nd (17:39.9)
Next U-M Event: Sunday, Nov. 2 -- at Big Ten Championships (Iowa City, Iowa), 10:45 a.m. CST
DEXTER, Mich. -- The fourth-ranked University of Michigan women's cross country team closed the 2014 regular season by placing a trio of runners in the top 10 at the EMU Fall Classic today (Friday, Oct. 24). The 5,000-meter, non-scoring event was held at the Hudson Mills Metropark in nearby Dexter, Mich.
Leading the way for the U-M was sophomore/freshman Jaimie Phelan, who clocked 17:39.9 to claim a runner-up finish. Senior/junior Laura Addison was the next Wolverine to cross the finish line, as she claimed fifth place, while junior Olivia Brackett claimed seventh in her first event representing U-M. Addision and Brackett both cracked the 18-minute mark for the first time as Wolverines, finishing with times of 17:55.9 and 17:59.3, respectively.
Four more U-M harriers boasted top-20 performances, as sophomore/freshman Courtney Munley (11th), senior/junior Devon Hoppe (12th), sophomore/freshman Jamie Morrissey (14th) and junior/sophomore Gina McNamara (17th) each cracked the top 20. Overall, U-M placed seven of nine competing athletes in the field's top 17.
The Maize and Blue also had a half-dozen runners in the race as unattached competitors, including top-15 finishers in freshmen Claire Borchers (13th) and Sydney Badger (15th).
The Wolverines will begin the postseason when they return to action next Sunday, Nov. 2, to compete in the Big Ten Championships, hosted by the Hawkeyes of Iowa. The event is slated for a 10:45 a.m. CST start time at the Ashton Cross Country Course in Iowa City, Iowa.
Top 10 Individual Finishers
1. Becca Addison, Unattached 17:29.8
2. JAIMIE PHELAN, U-M 17:39.9
3. Emily Short, Saginaw Valley 17:48.6
4. Raquel Serna, Unattached 17:54.7
5. LAURA ADDISON, U-M 17:55.9
6. Rachel Prutsman, Roberts Wesleyan 17:57.1
7. OLIVIA BRACKETT, U-M 17:59.3
8. Kennedy Beazley, Unattached 18:00.1
9. Kaylin Russeau, Unattached 18:00.7
10. Aubrey Wilberding, Michigan State 18:03.6
Other U-M Finishers
11. Courtney Munley 18:04.2
12. Devon Hoppe 18:07.8
14. Jamie Morrissey 18:12.8
17. Gina McNamara 18:19.1
41. Hailey Middlebrook 19:05.7
56. Jillian Smith 19:27.7
Unattached U-M Finishers
13. Claire Borchers 18:12.0
15. Sydney Badger 18:16.2
25. Ellie Leonard 18:31.2
64. Sydney Elmer 19:55.7
94. Audrianna Bornamann 21:47.5
N O T E S
• Former Wolverine and current volunteer assistant Rebecca Addison (2010-13) competed unattached in today's race, finishing first with a time of 17:29.8.
• For Olivia Brackett, who transferred to U-M from Colgate in the fall, today's race marks her first event as a Wolverine.
• Michigan has competed at Hudson Mills Metropark twice a year for the last eight seasons, running at the Michigan Open and EMU Fall Classic each year. The Wolverines have competed in the EMU Fall Classic every season dating back to 2002.
• Michigan's Big Ten Championships squad was not in action this weekend, as it prepared for the upcoming conference meet on Nov. 2 in Iowa City, Iowa. Today's meet provided an opportunity for many of U-M's younger runners to gain valuable racing experience.
• Athletes for this event consisted of university, unattached collegiate and some post-collegiate athletes with unlimited team entries allowed.
• The EMU Fall Classic marked the last regular-season meet of the season, as the Wolverines will begin the championship portion of their season on Nov. 2 with the Big Ten Championships, hosted by Iowa.
Q U O T E S
Michigan Head Coach Mike McGuire
On his impressions of the race all, and the progress made ... "We definitely had some improvement over our times in the fall. It was a great day to run. A little soft down by the one-mile mark, but it always is this time of year. I was pleased. Jaimie Phelan did a nice job leading the troops and Laura Addison -- I think that's her first time under 18 minutes. Great performance from Olivia (Brackett) too; that was her first time in a Michigan uniform since she transferred to us from Colgate. With the freshmen that ran unattached, they don't get a lot of opportunities to compete, so I thought they took advantage of that and had some strong races."
U-M Junior Olivia Brackett
On her impressions of the race overall and her thoughts after her first time wearing the Block 'M' ... "I felt really good; a lot better than the last time I raced here. I definitely noticed the team atmosphere in the middle of the race. Looking up and seeing those Maize and Blue ribbons was a comfort when I was racing and that really pushed me through the second half of that race. It felt so good to finish with all of my teammates around me."
Contact: Chad Shepard