U of M Weekly #14: Thirteen Wolverines Prepped for NCAA East Prelims
Provided by U of M
Thu-Sat., May 29-31 -- at NCAA East Preliminary Rounds (Jacksonville, Fla.), Noon/10 a.m./Noon
The University of Michigan men's track and field team will be represented by 13 student-athletes at the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds from Thursday-Saturday (May 29-31) at the University of North Florida's Hodges Stadium. Competition will start on Thursday at noon and resume on Friday at 10 a.m. and again on Saturday at noon.
The top 48 athletes in both the east and west regions in each event (in descending order) as well as the top 24 relays from each region qualified for the meet. The athletes will participate in two rounds (first round and quarterfinals) during the preliminary round. Twelve competitors from each individual event and 12 teams from each relay event will advance from each preliminary championship competition to the NCAA Championships. This year's national meet will be held from June 11-14 in Eugene, Ore.
Name -- Event (Seed, Time/Mark)
Mason Ferlic -- 3,000m Steeplechase (9, 8:47.91); 5,000m (11, 13:55.12)
James Yau -- 3,000m Steeplechase (48, 9:00.83)
Morsi Rayyan -- 5,000m (19, 14:00.77); 10,000m (13, 29:12.94)
Mark Beams -- 10,000m (16, 29:15.70)
August Pappas -- 10,000m (25, 29:29.16)
Bradley James -- High Jump (18, 2.14m)
Patrick Cochran -- Long Jump (27, 7.54m)
Derek Sievers -- Shot Put (27, 18.25m)
Cody Riffle -- Shot Put (31, 18.06m)
Justin Gaumer -- Shot Put (48, 17.44m)
Ethan Dennis -- Hammer Throw (7, 66.36m)
Brad Bolton -- Hammer Throw (33, 61.26m)
Stephen Burk -- Javelin (23, 68.10m)
• This will mark the second trip to the regional meet for senior/junior Mark Beams (Vicksburg, Mich./Vicksburg), junior/sophomore Brad Bolton (Lake Forest, Calif./El Toro), junior/sophomore Mason Ferlic (St. Paul, Minn./Mounds Park Academy), fifth-year senior Bradley James (East Lansing, Mich./Haslett) and senior/junior Morsi Rayyan (Dewitt, Mich./St. Johns), while senior/junior Cody Riffle (Toledo, Ohio/St. John's Jesuit) will make his third appearance at the NCAA prelims, and fifth-year senior Ethan Dennis (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grandville) will return for the fourth straight year. Ferlic and Riffle are both returning second team All-Americans from 2013, while Dennis was an All-America honorable mention a year ago.
BREAKING DOWN THE WOLVERINE LINEUP
Mark Beams • Senior/Junior • 10,000m • Vicksburg, Mich./Vicksburg
Beams will return to the NCAA East Prelims for the second straight year after finishing 27th in the 10,000-meter run a year ago. He has finished eighth in the 10,000-meter run at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships in each of the last two years, recording a personal-best time of 29:15.70 at this year's conference meet.
Brad Bolton • Junior/Sophomore • Hammer Throw • Lake Forest, Calif./El Toro
Bolton will make his second career appearance at the east regional and first since 2012, as he redshirted during the 2013 outdoor season. At the 2012 regional meet, he finished 23rd in the hammer throw. He currently ranks third on U-M's all-time performance list with his throw of 61.26 meters (201-0) that he recorded at the Indiana Billy Hayes Invitational (April 3, 2014).
Stephen Burk • Sophomore • Javelin • Parsippany, N.J./Parsippany
Burk, who only competes for the Wolverines during the outdoor season in the javelin, will make his first trip to the preliminary rounds. He won the javelin at the season-opening North Florida Invitational with a mark of 68.10 meters (223-5), which moved him into second on U-M's all-time performance list. At the 2014 Big Ten Outdoor Championships, Burke improved nine spots from the previous year to win bronze in the javelin.
Patrick Cochran • Senior/Junior • Long Jump • Erie, Pa./McDowell
Cochran, who redshirted the 2014 indoor season, returned to compete for the Wolverines during the outdoor season and earned his first trip to the preliminary rounds. At the season-opening North Florida Invitational (March 29), he finished runner-up in the long jump with a two-foot personal record of 7.54 meters (24-9), which ranks 10th on U-M's all-time performance list.
Ethan Dennis • Fifth-Year Senior • Hammer Throw • Grand Rapids, Mich./Grandville
Dennis is the only Wolverine to make four straight appearances at the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds. In 2013, the school record holder in the hammer throw (66.36m, 217-8) advanced to the NCAA Outdoor Championships for the first time in his career, finishing 20th to earn All-America honorable mention. He has scored for the Wolverines at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships in each of the last four years, including top-four finishes in the last three seasons and fourth this year.
Mason Ferlic • Junior/Sophomore • 3,000m Steeplechase/5,000m • St. Paul, Minn./Mounds Park
Ferlic, who is making his second straight trip to the east regional, is a returning second team All-American in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, as he finished 13th at the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships. He opened up the 2014 outdoor season in the steeplechase at U-M's tri-meet against California and Virginia, clocking a season-best time of 8:47.91, which ranks sixth on U-M's all-time performance list. Ferlic was named Big Ten Track Athlete of the Week for the second time in his career on April 9, for his season-opening performance. His career-best steeple time of 8:41.83 came at the 2013 NCAA East Prelims, where he took fourth overall. In addition to the steeple, Ferlic will also compete in the 5,000-meter run. He owns a career-best 5,000m time of 13:55.12, which is 10th all-time at Michigan.
Justin Gaumer • Senior/Junior • Shot Put • Holly, Mich./Holly
Gaumer earned his first trip to the NCAA East Prelims, securing the 48th and final qualifying spot with his career-best mark of 17.44 meters (57-2.75). That mark, which ranks ninth all-time at U-M, helped him finish 12th in the shot put at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships.
Bradley James • Fifth-Year Senior • High Jump • East Lansing, Mich./Haslett
James qualified to compete at the east regional for the first time since 2011, after clearing at height of 2.14 meters (7-1.25) to win the 2014 Big Ten high jump title. That mark matched his career-best height, which he recorded at the 2011 East Preliminary Rounds, where he finished tied for 13th.
August Pappas • Junior/Sophomore • 10,000m • Chelsea, Mich./Chelsea
Pappas clocked a career-best time of 29:29.16 to finish 10th at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships and secure his first trip to the preliminary rounds.
Morsi Rayyan • Senior/Junior • 5,000m/10,000m • Dewitt, Mich./St. Johns
Rayyan will make his second career trip to the preliminary rounds and first since 2012, as he redshirted the 2013 outdoor season. At the 2012 NCAA East Preliminary Rounds, he finished 14th in the 10,000-meter run, just missing the cutoff for the NCAA Outdoor Championships. At this year's Big Ten Outdoor Championships, Rayyan ran a career-best 10,000m time of 29:12.94 to finish seventh and move into 10th on U-M's all-time performance list. He will also compete in the 5,000-meter run at the east regional, where he owns a season-best time of 14:00.77 and career-best time of 13:57.34.
Cody Riffle • Senior/Junior • Shot Put • Toledo, Ohio/St. John's Jesuit
Riffle missed the majority of outdoor season due to a hand injury and, in just his second meet of the season, finished eighth in the shot put at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships with a season-best mark of 18.06 meters (59-3). He is the school record holder in the shot put (18.80m, 61-8.25) and a returning outdoor second team All-American after finishing ninth at the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
Derek Sievers • Junior/Sophomore • Shot Put • Byron Center, Mich./Byron Center
Sievers made big strides for the Wolverines during the 2014 season, where he finished seventh in the shot put at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships and eighth at the indoor conference meet. His career-best shot put mark of 18.25 meters (59-10.5) came at the outdoor Big Ten meet and helped him secure his first trip to the preliminary rounds.
James Yau • Senior/Junior • 3,000m Steeplechase • Troy, Mich./Troy
Yau earned his first trip to the NCAA East Prelims, securing the 48th and final qualifying spot in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. He ran a career-best time of 9:00.83 to finish eighth at the 2014 Big Ten Outdoor Championships.
WOLVERINES IN THE RECORD BOOK
• Ten student-athletes who will compete at the 2014 NCAA East Preliminary Rounds are currently ranked on the program's all-time top-10 outdoor performance list in at least one event:
Name Event Rank Time/Mark (Year)
Mason Ferlic 3,000m steeplechase 6th 8:41.83 (2013)
5,000m 10th 13:55.12 (2014)
Morsi Rayyan 10,000m 10th 29:12.94 (2014)
Bradley James High Jump 8th 7-0 1/4 (2014)
Patrick Cochran Long Jump 10th 24-9 (2014)
Cody Riffle Shot Put 1st 61-3 1/2 (2013)
Derek Sievers Shot Put 4th 59-10 1/2 (2014)
Justin Gaumer Shot Put 9th 57-2 3/4 (2014)
Ethan Dennis Hammer 1st 217-8 (2014)
Brad Bolton Hammer 3rd 201-0 (2014)
Stephen Burk Javelin 2nd 223-5 (2014)
THE COACHING STAFF
• Jerry Clayton is in his first year as Michigan's head coach, working primarily with U-M's field event athletes. At the 2014 Big Ten Outdoor Championships, he led Bradley James to the program's first high jump title since 1996. In his first outdoor season, he guided eight Wolverine field athletes to the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds. Prior to moving to Ann Arbor, Clayton spent 15 seasons as an assistant head coach at Auburn. He has strong Big Ten ties, as he competed for Illinois and was two-time NCAA qualifier in the shot put, and returned to Illinois as an assistant coach from 1980-89. Clayton has produced several high-level national and international athletes, including 16 NCAA individual champions, 85 NCAA All-Americans, 39 international team competitors, 24 qualifiers for the U.S. Olympic Trials and 33 participants in Olympic Games and World Championship competition.
• Assistant coach Steven Rajewsky is in his first year as a member of U-M's coaching staff, working primarily with U-M's sprinters and hurdles. Prior to coming to Michigan, Rajewsky spent six years as an assistant coach at Kent State.
• Assistant coach Alex Gibby is in his fourth season as U-M's distance coach. To date, he has guided 14 student-athletes to the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds, two to the NCAA Indoor Championships and three to NCAA Outdoor Championship appearances. As the Wolverines' cross country head coach, he led his 2013 squad to the NCAA Great Lakes Region title and a runner-up finish at the Big Ten Championships.
THE 2014 WOLVERINES
• Team Captains: Senior Herman Washington, as well as senior/juniors Mark Beams and Cody Riffle were named tri-captains for the 2014 season. Each captain was chosen by the team and coaches to represent the different event areas -- Beams (distance), Riffle (field) and Washington (sprints).
• Returning All-Americans: The Wolverines return four student-athletes who earned All-America honors during the 2013 outdoor season. Senior/junior Cody Riffle (Toledo, Ohio/St. John's Jesuit) placed ninth at the outdoor national championships, earning All-America second team recognition. Fifth-year senior Ethan Dennis (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grandville) finished 20th in the hammer throw at the national outdoor event, garnering All-America honorable mention accolades. In his first year competing in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, junior/sophomore Mason Ferlic (St. Paul, Minn./Mounds Park Academy) ran to a 13th-place finish at the NCAA Outdoor Championships to earn All-America second team honors. Senior Ali Arastu (Northville, Mich./Northville), who is redshirting the 2014 season, finished fourth in the 400-meter hurdles at the NCAA Outdoor Championships, becoming U-M's only First Team All-American of the year.
• In the Record Book: Ethan Dennis owns Michigan's indoor weight throw (21.20m, 69-6 3/4) and outdoor hammer throw (66.36m, 217-8) records, while Cody Riffle has set new school records in the indoor (19.25m, 63-2) and outdoor (18.80m, 61-8.25) shot put. Both indoor records were set at the 2013 dual meet against Michigan State.
A LOOK AHEAD
Wed-Sat., June 11-14 -- at NCAA Outdoor Championships (Eugene, Ore.)
Contact: Whitney Dixon