Eagles Cruise to Victory in EMU Triangular
Provided by EMU
YPSILANTI, Mich. (EMUEagles.com)—Eastern Michigan University's women's track and field team wrapped up the EMU Triangular against in-state rivals Oakland University and the University of Detroit Mercy, Friday, Jan. 10. The Eagles won the meet by a wide margin, scoring 119 points for the evening matchup. Detroit finished second with 82 points, followed by Oakland with 31. The Green and White commanded the majority of the meet, winning titles in 11-of-14 events and setting numerous personal records.
Makeda DeBardelaben (Saginaw, Mich.-Arthur Hill) led the way for the field eventers, claiming victories in both the long jump and the triple jump. The sophomore recorded a personal-best 5.70-meters/18-feet 8.50-inches in the long jump and bounded 11.42-meters/37-feet 5.75-inches in the triple jump. Additionally, Sarah Chauchard (Montpellier, France-University of Montpellier) and Janina Pollatz (Grandville, Mich.-Grand Rapids Christian) swept in to round out the top-three in the long jump.
Two more victories came on the field, as Ellie Braidic (Pandora, Ohio-Pandora-Gilboa) cleared 3.80-meters/12-feet 5.50-inches to win the pole vault and Kate Wolanin (Oxford, Mich.-Oxford) matched her personal-best height of 1.72-meters/5-feet 7.75-inches in the high jump. The high jump was also a 1-2-3 sweep, as Kristina Coyne (Pittsburgh, Pa.-Chartiers Valley) and Pauline Chiariglione (Ajaccio, France-University of Nice) each cleared 1.60-meters/5-feet 3-inches to take second and third for the meet.
To kick off the track events, Victoria Voronko (Stavropol, Russia-School #42) set a personal record in the mile run, completing the event in 4:47.12. The junior set another personal-best later in the 800m, finishing in 2:12.77. The Russian product ended her successful season debut by anchoring the 4x400m relay team, which clinched a victory with a 3:22.91 mark.
Also earning two individual titles was Danielle Clark (Paramaribo, Suriname-Ewald P. Meyer Lyceum), who sprinted to victory in the 60m and 200m races. Iesha Hardiman (Santa Clara, Calif.-Adrian Wilcox) took the 400m in 58.86, and Chauchard rounded out the victors with an 8.88 mark in the 60m hurdles.
"I was pleased with the win and I thought that we had some solid performances for our first meet of 2014," said Head Coach Sue Parks. "Victoria had two great early-season marks and several others performed well. We still have some athletes missing so it may take some time for our team to totally come together, but we hope to keep seeing improvement with each meet."
The Green and White will soon have an opportunity to further improve, as they will head just down the road to the University of Michigan for the Simmons/Harvey Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 18.
EMU Individual Results * denotes EMU personal record
2. Waisner, Adrienne 15.08m/49-05.75
6. Briggs, Reagan 12.35m/40-06.25*
1. DeBardelaben, Makeda 5.70m/18-08.50*
2. Chauchard, Sarah 5.66m/18-07.00*
3. Pollatz, Janina 5.44m/17-10.25*
9. Coyne, Kristina 4.73m/15-06.25*
2. Chauchard, Sarah 12.13m/39-09.75*
6. Chiariglione, Pauline 10.55m/34-07.50*
7. Wolanin, Kate 10.31m/33-10.00
1. DeBardelaben, Makeda 11.42m/37-05.75
1. Braidic, Ellie 3.80m/12-05.50
2. Uy, Natalie 3.80m/12-05.50*
3. Pollatz, Janina 3.35m/10-11.75
1. Wolanin, Kate 1.72m/5-07.75
2. Coyne, Kristina 1.60m/5-03.00*
3. Chiariglione, Pauline 1.60m/5-03.00*
1. Voronko, Victoria 4:47.12*
3. Manjon-Rivadulla, Marina 5:12.78
4. Knoll, Taylor 5:15.64*
7. Pfund, Kayla 5:23.08
1. Chauchard, Sarah 8.88
3. Chiariglione, Pauline 9.13*
4. Coyne, Kristina 9.28
5. Wolanin, Kate 9.31
6. Uy, Natalie 9.43
1. Hardiman, Iesha 58.86
6. Hurd, Dayna 1:03.86*
1. Clark, Danielle 7.77
3. Threatt, Tericka 8.05
1. Voronko, Victoria 2:12.77*
3. Quaintance, Rebecca 2:25.72
4. Knoll, Taylor 2:27.33*
1. Clark, Danielle 25.25
4. Threatt, Tericka 26.63
2. Pfund, Kayla 10:44.31
4. Quilez-Ribera, Anna 10:51.15*
5. Frauhammer, Amy 10:54.50*
1. Clark, Hardiman, Manjon-Rivadulla, Voronko 3:22.91