U of M Women - Ofili Takes 110m Hurdle Crown to Cap Competition at Kansas Relays
Provided by U of M
April 20, 2013
Site: Lawrence, Kan. (Memorial Stadium)
Event: Kansas Relays (Day 3)
U-M Team Result: Non-scoring
Next U-M Event: Thu-Sat., April 25-27 -- at Penn Relays (Philadelphia, Pa.); Thu-Sat., April 25-27 -- at Drake Relays (Des Moines, Iowa)
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Freshman Cindy Ofili's (Ypsilanti, Mich./Huron) winning performance in the 100-meter hurdle finals highlighted the University of Michigan women's track and field team's final day of competition at the Kansas Relays on Saturday (April 20) at Memorial Stadium.
Ofili earned a spot in today's 100-meter hurdle finals, where she won the event with a time of 13.50 -- just .07 seconds off her career best.
Michigan went 2-3-4 in the seeded 1,500-meter run with fifth-year senior Amanda Eccleston (Adrian, Mich./Tecumseh) (4:19.55), sophomore/freshman Shannon Osika (Waterford, Mich./Mott) (4:20.62) and senior/junior Jillian Smith (Manahawkin, N.J./Southern Regional) (4:20.78) crossing the line consecutively.
Senior Rebecca Addison (Spring Lake, Mich./Grand Haven) finished runner-up in the seeded 800-meter run (2:05.74), while freshman Danielle Pfeifer (Cincinnati, Ohio/McAuley) took fourth with a time of 2:09.69.
Junior Amber Smith (Cleveland, Ohio/Collinwood) qualified for the finals of the 100- and 400-meter hurdle finals, where she finished fifth and eighth, respectively, with times of 14.00 and 1:05.28. Fifth-year senior Alexandria Williams (Wallingford, Pa./Strath Haven) joined Smith in the 400-meter hurdle finals, taking sixth in a time of 1:02.83.
Senior Charlotte Cahill (Farmington Hills, Mich./North Farmington) qualified for the 200-meter dash finals, placing sixth overall with a time of 24.69.
In the field, junior Erin Busbee (Cleveland, Ohio/Collinwood) set a new personal best in the long jump (5.96 meters, 19-6.75) to finish fourth, while fifth-year senior Tofunmi Akeredolu (Southfield, Mich./Lathrup) took sixth with a mark of 5.87 meters (19-3.25).
Michigan's 4x100-meter relay, which consisted of A. Smith, Ofili, Busbee and Cahill, recorded a season-best time of 45.96 to finish runner-up.
The Wolverines won two relays on the second day of the Kansas Relays (Friday, April 19). The distance medley relay, which was made up of Osika, sophomore Chinyere Onimo (Ypsilanti, Mich./Huron), Eccleston and Addison, clocked a time of 11:36.23 to win the event. The 4xOne Mile Relay also recorded a win with a time of 21:01.11. The relay consisted of junior/sophomore Nicola Hallenborg (Summit, N.J./Summit), freshman Taylor Manett (Rockford, Mich./Rockford), sophomore Michaela Carnegie (Beulah, Mich./Benzie Central) and junior Megan Weschler (Wyandotte, Mich./Roosevelt).
Manett also won the unseeded 1,500-meter run (4:43.95), while Hallenborg took second in the 10,000-meter run (36:38.34) on the opening day (Thursday, April 18).
The Wolverines will be back in action with a split squad for the second straight weekend, sending student-athletes to both the Penn Relays and Drake Relays from Thursday-Saturday, April 25-27.
Event Winners/U-M Finishers (Day 3)
200-meter Dash (Finals)
1. Latoya King, Lincoln (Mo.) 23.56
6. Charlotte Cahill, U-M 24.69
1. Nicole Sifuentes, Saucony 2:04.17
2. Rebecca Addison, U-M 2:05.74
4. Danielle Pfeifer, U-M 2:09.69
1. Nicole Sifuentes, Saucony 4:14.54
2. Amanda Eccleston, U-M 4:19.55
3. Shannon Osika, U-M 4:20.62
4. Jillian Smith, U-M 4:21.78
100-meter Hurdles (Finals)
1. Cindy Ofili, U-M 13.50
5. Amber Smith, U-M 14.00
400-meter Hurdles (Finals)
1. Michelle Cumberbatch, Lincoln (Mo.) 59.17
6. Alexandria Williams, U-M 1:02.83
8. Amber Smith, U-M 1:05.28
4x100-meter Relay (Finals)
1. Kansas 'A' 45.02
2. MICHIGAN 'A' 45.96
(Amber Smith, Cindy Ofili,
Erin Busbee, Charlotte Cahill)
1. Francine Simpson, Kansas 6.53m (21-5.25)
4. Erin Busbee, U-M 5.96m (19-6.75)
6. Tofunmi Akeredolu, U-M 5.87m (19-3.25)
1. Geneva McCall, Nyac/Nike 54.05m (177-4)
8. Erin Pendleton, U-M 48.42m (158-10)
12. Kari Prena, U-M 44.77m (146-10)
• Previous Results: Day 2 | Day 1
Erin Busbee -- Long Jump (5.96m, 19-6.75)
N O T E S
• Michigan's 4x100-meter relay time of 45.96 is a season best and just .95 seconds off the school record set in 1998.
• Former Wolverine Nicole (Edwards) Sifuentes, who runs professionally for Saucony, competed in the 800- and 1,500-meter run, winning both events.
Contact: Whitney Dixon