U of M Men - North, Gavin, 4x400 Relay Win on Final Day of Spec Towns Invite
Provided by U of M
ATHENS, Ga. -- The University of Michigan men's track and field team won three events on the final day of the Spec Towns National Team Invitational on Saturday (April 14) at Spec Towns Track.
Junior Dallas North (Hastings, New Zealand/Nelson College) took the crown in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:55.35. In his season debut, senior/junior Bobby Aprill (Dexter, Mich./Dexter) ran an eight-second personal best of 3:57.06 to finish fourth in the 1,500-meter.
Sophomores Erick Gavin (Chicago Heights, Ill./Marian Catholic) and Herman Washington (Blacklick, Ohio/Gahanna Lincoln) finished one-two in the 110-meter hurdles in times of 14.31 and 14.35, respectively.
Michigan's 4x400-meter relay ran a season-best time of 3:09.28 to win the event. The relay was made up of senior Nick Neuman (Mokena, Ill./Lincoln-Way East), sophomore Ali Arastu (Northville, Mich./Northville), junior Aaron Taylor (Rochester Hills, Mich./Rochester Adams) and sophomore Eric Oliver (Berkeley, Calif./Homewood-Flossmoor [Ill.]).
Arastu also recorded a third-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles, clocking a time of 51.43.
Two Wolverines also registered lifetime-best marks in the field. Junior Jack Greenlee (Cincinnati, Ohio/St. Xavier) cleared a height of 5.21 meters (17-1), taking third place in the pole vault, while sophomore/freshman Justin Gaumer (Holly, Mich./Holly) registered a toss of 15.78 meters (51-9.25) in the shot put to finish fifth.
Junior/sophomore Ethan Dennis (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grandville) highlighted Friday's competition, setting a new school record in the hammer throw with a toss of 62.75 meters (205-10.50), which was good enough for third place. Freshman Brad Bolton (Lake Forest, Calif./El Toro) followed in fourth place, reaching a mark of 56.87 meters (186-7).
Senior/junior Kurt Reichenbach (Brighton, Mich./Pinckney Community) competed in his first decathlon of the season on Thursday and Friday, finishing seventh overall with 6,166 points. A win in the 1,500-meter run (4:38.57) proved to be the highlight of the two-day, 10-event Bulldog Decathlon.
Event Winners/U-M Finishers (Day 2)
1. Caleb Whitener, Georgia 18.89m (61-11.75)
5. Justin Gaumer, U-M 15.78m (51-9.25)
1. Kamal Fuller, Alabama 7.66m (25-1.75)
4. Robert Peddlar, U-M 7.11m (23-4)
1. Marvin Reitze, South Carolina 5.32m (17-5.50)
3. Jack Greenlee, U-M 5.21m (17-1)
5. Austin DeWildt, U-M 4.95m (16-2.75)
8. Taylor Voice, U-M 4.65m (15-3)
1. Burke McCarty, Georgia 54.40m (178-6)
6. Justin Gaumer, U-M 46.16m (151-05)
1. TCU 'A' 39.94
4. MICHIGAN 'A' 41.27
(Nick Neuman, Matthew Campbell,
Aaron Taylor, Robert Peddlar)
1. Dallas North, U-M 3:55.35
4. Bobby Aprill, U-M 3:57.06
110m Hurdles Invitational
1. Erick Gavin, U-M 14.31
2. Herman Washington, U-M 14.35
400m Dash Invitational
1. Torrin Lawrence, Georgia 45.65
6. Nick Neuman, U-M 47.92
9. Philip Washington, U-M 48.50
10. Eric Oliver, U-M 48.73
100m Dash Invitational
1. Charles Silmon, TCU 10.28
9. Robert Peddlar, U-M 11.06
800m Run Invitational
1. Aaron Evans, Georgia 1:50.57
8. Dallas North, U-M 1:54.65
200m Dash Invitational
1. Charles Silmon, TCU 20.68
8. Matthew Campbell, U-M 21.82
400m Hurdles Invitational
1. Laron Bennett, Unattached 50.45
3. Ali Arastu, U-M 51.43
Troy Sneller, U-M 53.82
4x400m Relay Invitational
1. MICHIGAN 'A' 3:09.28
(Nick Neuman, Ali Arastu,
Aaron Taylor, Eric Oliver)