GVSU Women Defeat SVSU in Dual Meet Action, 83-53
Provided by GVSU
University Center, Mich. - The #1 ranked Laker women's track and field team competed in their lone dual meet of the indoor season on Friday (Feb. 3) when they traveled to take on GLIAC rival Saginaw Valley State. With 10 victories, including a sweep of the field events, GVSU came away with an 83-53 victory over the Cardinals.
Sam Lockhart claimed two automatic marks for the Lakers in the meet, grabbing automatic qualifying marks in both the shot put (15.85m) and weight throw (20.61m) and establishing new meet records with each of them as well. Lockhart's weight throw was the farthest throw in NCAA Division II history, four centimeters further than teammate Liz Murphy's throw last year.
Murphy also hit an automatic mark in the competition for the weight throw with a toss of 20.07 meters, the third best mark in Division II this season while Katelyn Fox's throw of 18.17 meters is the 12th best mark on the year.
Kalena Franklin hit a provisional qualifying mark and a meet record with her victory in the 60 meter hurdles, crossing the line in 8.76 seconds. She was also part of the 4x400 relay team that set a meet record and a provisional qualifying mark with a time of 3:52.26.
Two other field athletes hit qualifying marks as Alisha Weaver's 1.67m high jump was good enough for a victory and Jocelyn Kuksa's 3.85m pole vault was also a qualifying mark and top mark at the meet.
The Lakers will now prepare for their largest meet of the year when they compete in the GVSU Big Meet on Friday (Feb. 10) at 10 a.m. in the Kelly Family Sports Center.
Below is a list of the top finisher in each event of the meet as well as the top GVSU finisher if they were not the winner of the event.
60 Meter Dash
1. Brittney Jackson (GVSU) - 7.78
200 Meter Dash
1. Brittney Banister (GVSU) - 25.53 (Meet record)
400 Meter Dash
1. Diamond Taylor (SVSU) - 59.58; 2. Lisa Galasso (GVSU) - 1:00.14
800 Meter Run
1. Allison Clark (GVSU) - 2:21.47
1 Mile Run
1. Ashley Meyer (SVSU) - 4:58.98 (Meet record/NCAA Prov.); 3. Jessica Janecke (GVSU) - 5:07.23
3000 Meter Run
1. Lauren Hill (SVSU) - 10:15.23 (Meet record); 2. Sarah Thomas (GVSU) - 10:16.68
60 Meter Hurdles
1. Kalena Franklin (GVSU) - 8.76 (Meet record/NCAA Prov.)
4x400 Meter Relay
1. GVSU "A" (Chanelle Caldwell, Aileen Lemanski, Kalena Franklin, Leiah Hess) - 3:52.26 (Meet record/NCAA Prov.)
1. Alisha Weaver (GVSU) - 1.67m (NCAA Prov.)
1. Jocelyn Kuksa (GVSU) - 3.85m (NCAA Prov.)
1. Michaela Lewis (GVSU) - 5.18m
1. Sam Lockhart (GVSU) - 15.85m (Meet record/NCAA Auto)
1. Sam Lockhart (GVSU) - 20.61m (Meet record/NCAA Auto/Best throw in Division II history)