Wayne State - Women's Cross Country Places Second at Michigan Intercollegiates
Provided by Wayne State
HILLSDALE, Mich. – The Wayne State University women's cross country team finished second at the Michigan Intercollegiate Championships on Friday afternoon. The Warriors competed against four other institutions, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Hillsdale and Mott CC.
- Senior Kayla Balfour (St. Clair, Mich.) led WSU after placing 12th with a time of 18:59.8. Balfour was the fourth division II runner to complete the course.
- Junior Leah Coonrod (Kalamazoo, Mich. / Gull Lake) recorded a 20th-place finish (19:32.6), while sophomore Morgan Sawgle (Fostoria, Mich. / North Branch) ran a time of 20:30.1 and garnered 28th place.
- Redshirt freshman Haley Reynolds (Riverview, Mich.) finished the race in 20:41.70 and senior Anne Okonowski (Dearborn, Mich. / Divine Child) posted a time of 20:49.60.
- Sophomores Jasmine Brown (West Bloomfield, Mich. / Walled Lake Central) and Courtney Hewitt (Detroit, Mich. / Oak Park) competed in their first race as a Warrior, finishing with times of 26:44.4 and 28:30.8, respectively.
- After a two week break, Wayne State will host the 2015 GLIAC Championships on Oct. 24 at Kensington Metropark in Milford, Mich. The women's race is slated to begin at 11:00 a.m.