Wayne State - Men's Cross Country Finishes Second at Hillsdale
Provided by Wayne State
ILLSDALE, Mich. – The Wayne State University men's cross country team placed second at the Michigan Intercollegiate Championships on Friday afternoon. The Warriors competed against two other schools, Hillsdale and Mott CC.
Seven of the 11 WSU runners finished in the top-20 of the 8k race.
- Graduate student Lucas Copi (St. Joseph, Mich. / Lake Michigan Catholic) recorded a fifth-place finish with a time of 26:47.3, while junior Andrew Nelson (Armada, Mich. / Romeo) completed the course in 26:54.0 in eighth place.
- Senior Joey Gerow (Romeo, Mich.) finished 11th (27:32.2) and freshman Dominic Davis (Southgate, Mich. / Theodore Roosevelt) posted his first top-20 finish with a time of 27:34.3.
- Senior Tim Szymanski (Macomb, Mich. / Dakota) garnered a time of 27:37.6 for 16th place. Redshirt sophomore Kevin Salter (Macomb, Mich. / Utica Eisenhower) and freshmen Zechariah Jean (Sterling Heights, Mich. / Utica Academy of International Studies) and Jeremiah Jean (Sterling Heights, Mich. / Utica Academy of International Studies) finished right after each other with times of 28:01.0, 28:02.1 and 28:08.5, respectively.
- Senior Ruben Cardenas (Ionia, Mich.) recorded a time of 28:37.9, while redshirt senior Pat Miller (Lenox, Mich. / St. Clair) completed the race in 29:11.9. Sophomore Sawyer Smith (Flushing, Mich.) posted a time of 30:38.2.
- After a two week break, Wayne State will host the 2015 GLIAC Championships on Oct. 24 at Kensington Metropark in Milford, Mich. The men's race is set to begin at 11:45 a.m.