Thoughts on VIBRAM® FIVEFINGERS® shoes?

General chit-chat.. about anything -- doesn't have to be about running.

Thoughts on VIBRAM® FIVEFINGERS® shoes?

Postby eberswine » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 pm

What do you guys think?

Is this just the next fad? Or what?

My thoughts:

Just like the Nike Free Shoe --- when this came out, people were all over them... Which was good.. and bad....

These are just my personal feelings. I think the VIBRAM® FIVEFINGERS® and the Nike Free's should be used in moderation ONLY!! And NOT replacement of running shoes.

These should only be used for quick strides and walks... and that's it!!!!! (My opinion)

Otherwise, if you start to use them in place of your normal shoe, then you should really take caution and be very, very, very patient in building up minutes and miles in them!!

In the 2010 modern day, not many of us have grown up walking and traveling around barefoot. We have always had some kind of cushion and or support on our feet (even when we were tiny)... If we all of a sudden start wearing these shoes... expect to be either injured or really sore for the first few weeks.. If you really, really want to replace these with your other shoes,.. then do it in moderation and be patient about it.... I wouldn't... but that is just me!!

If I were to incorporate these into my running routine, I would probably just wear them for short 150 meter striders or build ups. Or if I were to go to the gym to lift weights or something.

What do YOU guys think???
Attachments
Picture 14.png
(79.81 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
-------------------------------------------
Josh Eberly
Webmaster.Designer.Developer RunMichigan.com and pretty good runner :-)
eberswine
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on VIBRAM® FIVEFINGERS® shoes?

Postby Bobafettm » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am

I guess it's a personal thing more so. I started with VFF KSOs in the middle of winter. Allowed me to run practically barefoot in the snow which if anything kept my balance a lot better on snow / ice. And like u said I started off with 1/2 mile but continued my way up. I really don't have any issues running races or training in them. My feet physically look stronger and feel stronger for sure. I used to wear orthotics in my everyday shoes due to over-pro. But currently I never feel the achy feeling I used to get when wear flip flops for just wondering around.

I've only did two races in them so far. Both have been with Bikilas rather than KSOs or Sprints, just due to stepping on rocks etc (rocky terrain). 10k plus muddy buddy... But I've ran 10 miles on them without any different feeling in my toes than I'd normally get.

It's an amazing feeling to have your feet feel free when running. I hate the way my feet feel in shoes now. So I guess it could be a big fad to some, and if u don't properly train with them people are going to seriously hurt themselves. But for me. They are awesome... Even if I know I can run much faster in a shoe then enjoyment I get out of them makes up for the lost time... Plus I'm not winning any event anyways :D

Just my two cents.
Bobafettm

Postby huxuecan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:51 am

These should only be used for quick strides and walks... and that's it!!!!! (My opinion)
ed hardy bekleidung
Otherwise, if you start to use them in place of your normal shoe, then you should really take caution and be very, very, very patient in building up minutes and miles in them!!
ed hardy kleidung
In the 2010 modern day, not many of us have grown up walking and traveling around barefoot. We have always had some kind of cushion and or support on our feet (even when we were tiny)... If we all of a sudden start wearing these shoes... expect to be either injured or really sore for the first few weeks.. If you really, really want to replace these with your other shoes,.. then do it in moderation and be patient about it.... I wouldn't... but that is just me!!
ed hardy
If I were to incorporate these into my running routine, I would probably just wear them for short 150
huxuecan

Postby eberswine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:57 am

Bobafettm wrote:I guess it's a personal thing more so. I started with VFF KSOs in the middle of winter. Allowed me to run practically barefoot in the snow which if anything kept my balance a lot better on snow / ice. And like u said I started off with 1/2 mile but continued my way up. I really don't have any issues running races or training in them. My feet physically look stronger and feel stronger for sure. I used to wear orthotics in my everyday shoes due to over-pro. But currently I never feel the achy feeling I used to get when wear flip flops for just wondering around.
Just my two cents.

Great stuff. I have been wearing orthotics for nearly 6 years now. And I know that achy feeling while barefoot. It isn't that fun. But I am glad you responded with this!

It sounds like you did all the right things with the build up. :D

I have been considering on getting a pair and starting the build up. I will track my progress and preparation if I decide too..
Josh Eberly
Webmaster.Designer.Developer RunMichigan.com and pretty good runner :-)
eberswine
Site Admin

Postby JDavidson1 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:19 pm

I am very interested in these shoes. I am a larger guy, and I am intruiged by the idea that running shoes could be doing more harm then good by adjusting our biomechanics. Has anyone had a problem adjusting and given up after buying these? I wish I could test some out on a couple fo short runs to see how they feel.
Read my blog about being a slow, somewhat committed runner here:

http://run-thru-life.blogspot.com
JDavidson1

Return to General Talk