Picking up running again...

Just starting? Come post and read about what people are doing.

Picking up running again...

Postby lnjacobs25 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:38 am

Hello everyone, I am sorta new at running and Im looking for some advice. I ran a 5k a year ago and since then I haven't ran much. I just started back up again.

Any suggestions or training tips?
lnjacobs25

Re: Picking up running again...

Postby jdahl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 pm

I just started in March and used a app called couch 2 5k (C25K) on my ipod touch. It was very helpful. worth every penny even if that was all it could do.
jdahl

Postby eberswine » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Just remember, running isn't any different then starting up anything else in life. You have to take it one step at a time and be patient with it.

The worst is when new runners say, "Running hurts my knees or ankles, or legs... " -- well yes, it does.. but it hurts everyone else just the same when they are starting out too. I am an elite level athlete myself. I can't tell you how bad my body hurts after taking two - three weeks completely off of running, and then start back up.

I get excited about the pain! -- you know why??? Because it will eventually go away if you slowly keep at it! And progression is a pretty neat thing to experience when running!

Yes, there are differences in an injury and a niggle or little pain. (If it is sharp, then it usually isn't good)

You don't have to run every day. Try for the first few weeks to run either every other day or every third day. The runs shouldn't be that long in the beginning. Even if you get out for 10-20 mins, then that is fine! You are trying to get your body use to running again. It will take a bit of time! Be patient, stay positive and don't have super high expectations the first month or two. You should go into thinking that you just want to get the ball rolling again and then I will make goals!

Good luck and Welcome to the community!
-------------------------------------------
Josh Eberly
Webmaster.Designer.Developer RunMichigan.com and pretty good runner :-)
-------------------------------------------
eberswine
Site Admin

Postby mgasperoni » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:51 pm

This running thing can be quickly addicting can't it? :) ... I'm 33 and never ran before like this (nor ever liked it even when I had to in high school) ... I did the C25K (Couch to 5K) and it really worked for me ... a few months ago I was sitting on my couch and this morning I ran the Gopher the Gold 5k :) ... didn't quite break any land-speed records but my goal was to not walk ... and I didn't ... a time of 40:20 is just the start! ... think the Wood Duck Dash will be my next one ... want to get in about 5 races this season ... next year/season I think I'll try some 10k's ... but for now just having fun with this ... what a great feeling to finish my first race ever!
mgasperoni

Postby gosparty31 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 pm

mgasperoni, you sound like me! I too am 33 and just completed the Couch to 5K in June. I ran track in HS as a sprinter, but I have never been a long distance runner. I have completed 2 5Ks so far with the same time as you and have registered for 4 more so far. Striving for consistency and speed!
gosparty31

Return to Beginning Running